Wake your skin up with this DIY Coffee Facial Mask! The recipe below including the “Benefits of Ingredients” and directions are from BeautyBanter.com by Sarah Howard (see her post here). Being coffee lovers, and always striving to put our best faces forward, the girls at Blu Cocoon MedSpa in San Jose, thought this was a fun DIY face mask recipe to share!
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 cup ground organic coffee beans (grind your own or buy pre-ground)
- 1/2 cup organic, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup of unsweetened whole milk (if you aren’t a dairy person, sub for unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice (for dry skin, try olive or almond oil)
- 1 Tbsp of honey (for extra oily or acne prone skin, use additional lemon juice here instead of honey)
Benefits of the Ingredients:
Coffee Beans – Reduces inflammation and redness, and the appearance of under eye circles. As an exfoliator, removes dead skin and “wakes up” a tired complexion.
Cocoa Powder – A good source of antioxidants; repairs damage due to environmental pollutants and free radicals. Contains high levels of sulfur (great for fighting acne).
Milk – It is said that Cleopatra bathed in milk to give her skin a healthy glow. Lactic acid exfoliants while natural enzymes help to smooth skin. Amino acids keep skin hydrated.
Lemon Juice – Acts as an exfoliant. Contains natural vitamin C to ligten, tighten and brighten. Great for regulating oil production.
Honey – A natural humectant that locks in moisture.
In your bowl, mix the finely ground coffee beans with the cocoa powder. Add in the milk, stir until it creates a paste. For a thicker paste, use less milk. Fold in lemon juice and honey. Apply to skin and let dry (up to 20 minutes). Wash off and store any extras in the fridge for up to 3 days.