The term may sound scary and most think of the fabled episode in “Sex and the City”, but in actuality there are so many different types of peels…those for sensitive skin to acne prone skin. Peels have been used for centuries and are still used today to treat a variety of skin conditions.
Most chemical peels use different acids usually in the form of glycolic, salicylic, and lactic acids. These acids gently peel the top layers of the epidermis in order to improve conditions such as acne, pigmentation or wrinkles. They can range from mild to aggressive (depending on the nature and depth of the peel).
A chemical peel is a very quick and easy treatment and can be performed in about 30 minutes or less. The majority of side effects include: Light flaking (like a sunburn) for 2-7 days, redness and itchiness. Some people report not peeling at all, if this happens it doesn’t mean the peel is not working for you; everyone’s skin cycle is different. Your clinician will work with you to determine which chemical peel is best suited for your skin.
Some chemical peels that Blu Cocoon Med Spa offers:
- Obagi Blue Peel Radiance (super for smoothing the skin)
- Sensi Peels (good for rosacea and sensititve skin types)
- Enhanced Jessner Peels (good for pigmented skin)
- Clarifying Peel (good for acne)
- Ultra Peel (for sun damaged or pigmented skin)
- Pumpkin Peel (for a nice healthy glow with no down time)
- Oxygenating peel (can be used for pregnant women)Peels are good for:
- Sun Damage
- A smoother complexion
- Healthier skin