At Blu Cocoon Med Spa in San Jose, we LOVE our skin care products! We have handpicked products that promote healthier-looking, younger, and smoother skin from the best in the industry. We encourage clients to use products from a reputable medical spa (such as ours!), instead of drugstore lotions and potions, because these products have a higher level of active ingredients that really yield results over time. And there’s an additional bonus! Using high quality products in your skin care regimen will properly prep your skin to maximize the benefits of each cosmetic treatment you have (such as facials, chemical facial mask peels, FotoFacials, etc.,).
The one challenge that many people face with these highly-effective skin care products is how much to use and how often to use them. It is tempting to slather on the retinoid or anti-aging serum so that we see results fast. Unfortunately, misusing these products might actually be more damaging than you think. Here is what we recommend for an effective skin care regimen:
- Cleansing: beautiful skin begins with a good cleansing – wash your face in the morning and at night; we recommend using a cleanser that works with your skin type along with the Supracor facial sponge to increase circulation and cell renewal.
- Moisturizer: this is one product that can yield results quickly; a moisturizer suited to your skin type (oily, dry, combination) will hydrate and plump your skin.
- Retinoids: popularly known under the brand name Retin-A, this tretinoin treatment has been proven to have many anti-aging benefits (increasing cell turnover, decreasing whiteheads and blackheads, minimizing fine lines) but can cause irritation to sensitive skin; spread a pea-sized amount on your face 3 times per week, at night, and use a sunscreen daily to prevent sun burn.
- Anti-Aging Serums or Creams: find an antioxidant cream that works well with your skin. Use on the nights that you do not use a retinoid cream; 2 to 3 times per week.
- Exfoliation: increase cell turnover by using an exfoliant 2 to 3 times per week.
- Protection: sun damage can undo all your effort for beautiful, younger-looking skin; use a sun block daily and year round.
Along with using quality products, we also recommend exercising patience. Allow your products anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months to work; most products work slowly over time and change is gradual. If you are seeing positive changes, there is no need to switch up products because your skin has “gotten used to” the ingredients. Instead, we encourage you to keep using the product and enjoy the benefits that you are experiencing. If you are not seeing results, and have used the product over a fair amount of time, you can consider trying something else, but switch your products one at a time.
If you need help modifying your existing skin care regimen, or starting on one, come see us at Blu Cocoon. Our San Jose skin care specialists will be happy to help you renew your outer beauty today!