It’s that time of year! The sun is out, the days are longer and we’re loving every minute of it. Are you itching to do some Spring cleaning? Us too! But we’re not talking about your linen closets or your kitchen pantry. (This is the Blu Cocoon MedSpa blog you’re reading, after all!)
We’re talking about Spring cleaning out some of those bad skin care habits that you’d prefer not to admit that you have. Maybe you’re only guilty of a few (I’m sure some of us Blu Cocoon girls are too) or maybe you’re guilty of quite many . . . either way, join us in making a commitment to making a change (your skin, and Blu Cocoon clinician, will thank you).
- The bar of soap in the shower is not your facial cleanser. Yes, it does remove dirt and oil effectively, but it’s alkalinity also strips the protective barrier from the surface of your skin. Your facial skin is delicate and needs to be treated as such with products that are geared towards the type of skin that you have. Making an investment in skin care cleansers and products that are appropriate for your skin type will pay off over time.
- Dirty makeup brushes can leave the skin not-so-pretty. Caked up brushes can cause clogged pores, mixed-up colors, and even bacterial infections. Clean your brushes every 3 weeks using your favorite makeup brush cleaner or something gentle like baby wash or baby shampoo. Let them air dry over night.
- Your beautiful skin doesn’t stop at your chin. Your neck and chest are exposed to just as many elements on a daily basis. Don’t be afraid to spread some moisturizer, tretinoin or anti-aging serum on your chest and neck (caution: the skin is delicate, so use it sparingly) and lather on the SPF daily to protect both areas.
- You may consider picking a pimple the thing of the past (lucky you!) but some people do still suffer from adult acne and may still be tempted to pick and pop to hasten up the life of the pimple. Stop! Don’t touch! Chances are it will take longer to heal, may become bigger (due to irritation and inflammation), may become infected, and may have more of a chance of leaving a scar.
- Oh yeah! We’re guilty. We like our nights out and our red wine. But too many late nights and bottles of wine may be wreaking havoc on your skin. Excessive alcohol can increase the level of inflammatory agents in your bloodstream which can make your skin sag faster than you think. Too many late nights doesn’t allow your skin (and the rest of your body) to repair the damage from that day. Sleep deprivation causes stress and makes skin issues like acne and eczema worse. Plus, it’s hard to look good with a hangover.
- Just say “no” to tanning at the salon or on the beach. UVA and UVB rays can cause pigment changes, accelerate aging and may increase your risk of skin cancer. Tanning beds may even be worse. They emit concentrated UVA rays, which penetrate deeper than the combination of UVA and UVB rays from sunlight. Self-tanner or bronzers are much better options.
- When you skip the gym, you’re not just missing out on the caloric burn. Exercise increases the blood flow to the skin and has been shown to decrease tension and stress, too. Exercise lessens your cortisol spikes and the less spikes you have, the smoother and clearer your skin will be. Plus you’ll feel good too.
- Cameron Diaz admitted that cutting out junk food was what helped curb her acne problem. That’s not just a movie-star thing. Processed carbs cause your blood sugar to rise, triggering a surge of insulin. Insulin stimulates oil-producing hormones that can cause acne. Replace fast food with good food choices such as colorful veggies and whole grains.
- Daylight is the number 1 cause of aging. Daily exposure to UV rays, even walking from your office to the car, can do damage over time. Use your SPF daily, year round.
Isn’t it interesting that many of these habits are not directly related to being in the bathroom with a bunch of skin care products? Beautiful, healthy, glowing skin doesn’t just come from bottles, although there are a few skin care products that can really help it along (just ask us for some recommendations next time you’re at Blu Cocoon). The secret to gorgeous skin is a combination of healthy life style habits and proper skin care. At Blu Cocoon Med Spa, we can help you get the proper skin care – from our Classic Facial to laser treatments and medical grade products – and if you do your part – maintaining healthy skin care habits and sweeping those bad habits under the rug – we promise that you’ll see your best skin “spring” forward!